Blogs > It's Time To Take A Stand

Being a business theatre producer has allowed Brian the opportunity to meet and work with some very fascinating people from a variety of backgrounds which, in turn, has helped shape his knowledge and his opinions. His blog will not always be political, it will be about a lifetime of subjects, and nothing is off limits. “Few people have original thoughts, we are shaped by the people we know and meet” he says.



Thursday, April 22, 2010

Listen up!

I should say right from the start that I consider myself independently conservative . Periodically, when I have the time or when I am driving somewhere, I listen to conservative talk radio . Just for kicks I try to listen to liberal talk radio every now and then when I can find it just to see or hear where they are coming from.

What bugs me about many conservative radio hosts, and I lump in Limbaugh and Hannity in that group, is that they are terrible listeners. Many times I agree with their message and monologue, although Hannity repeats himself way too much. Sometimes he reminds me of a drunk sitting at a bar telling the same story over and over.

This evening as I was driving home after a late day I happened to listen to Mark Levin. Three things about Levin that really bug me is that he screams all the time, constantly insults his listeners and he always sounds angry. It doesn't matter if a listener is calling in to agree with him or not, he is down right rude. He reminds me of the quintessential rude New Yorker. He may be as brilliant as he claims but his mannerisms are way beyond acceptable.

Now Limbaugh and Hannity are not rude to their listeners, except that Limbaugh never takes a call for the first hour and a half. They only hear what they want but they usually let a person speak his or her piece. They just don't listen well.

It is a different problem with Mitch Albom. As soon as he and Kenny start to talk over each other, I am on to a different radio station.

On the other hand, listening to Frank Beckman (WJR 9:00 am to noon) is such a listening pleasure. Frank, a self proclaimed conservative, listens well, always shows respect for his guests and listeners, lets liberals have their say before rebutting them and has what is probably the "best informed audience on radio." I have many times thought that he should choke his guest for the statement they make but Frank treats them all with respect and I find myself applauding him for his sense of decency, his upbringing and his manners.

So here is my advice to talk radio hosts. Follow the Frank Beckman mold. Be knowledgeable and on top of the news. Don't scream, ever. Don't insult every guest or listener, just the ones who truly deserve it. When someone is talking either cut him or her off before speaking or wait, don't speak over them. And most importantly listen carefully.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

How to post a comment:
1. Select the Post to which you want to Comment.
2. Scroll down to the add a comment area
3. Select a profile (Google Account, LiveJournal, WordPress, TypePad, AIM, etc..)
4. Create an account or sign in.
5. Post comment.
6. Input security code.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home